Saturday, August 21, 2010

The State That You Are Coming From

Right, so I went private for a few days but I got a surprising amount of emails asking why I did that so I'm just going to go public, despite the agita it will undoubtedly cause. Instead of going through and battling every comment that I get, every negative blasting about how I'm an asshole, arrogant, or worse yet dealing with the emails that Georgia gets from her readers saying those same things let me just address your concerns here.

There are 3 types of people reading this, at least in my mind.
  1. PEOPLE WHO KNOW ME. These people understand that I'm highly sarcastic and that everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. They will not write to me and tell me that my opinions are stupid because they know me IRL and despite having heard; "it's hard to tell when you're joking and when you're serious," about a zillion times in my life I continue to joke the very same way and let the pieces fall where they may. It's led to my having to apologize several times but it is who I am so what can you do?
  2. RANDOMLY STUMBLED INS. I'm going to assume that there aren't many people who just happen to find my blog. The internet is a pretty vast horizon and to just accidentally find this would be strange.
  3. GEORGIA'S READERS. I won't lump all of you together but this is the group that scares me, honestly. Some have come over and they know her, know her humor, maybe you know me, regardless, you get the joke...when it's a joke - or at least they must assume I'm just kidding around. Then there are the comments I get that basically tell me they are taking my jokes seriously or perhaps you're double sarcastic-ing a sarcastic-izer....in which case, WELL DONE!!! You totally fucking got me!!!
I understand that this isn't a very concise "response" to the messages I get from some of you but I don't really know how to say what I'm trying to get out. I guess the best way to say it is honestly and maybe harshly; you don't really know the real me and I don't intend on giving you the real me on this blog. If you are hoping for a blog like Georgia's I'm sure there are more out there. I'm actually a very private person, I'm shy, I take things personally, and thus I would never really open myself up the way some bloggers do.

If you've been reading her blog for a long time then you know how intelligent and wonderful she is, those facts can't be missed, so trust her judgement!! I'm not really an asshole, I open her car door, I clean cat poop, I planned our proposal for nearly 3 months, I cook for her, I massage her, I listen, I empathize, and every bit of love I give, I get back. But I'm not going to be writing about these things very often.

This is not to say there won't be pieces that talk about who I really am, it's not to say that everything is a joke, it's just to say that if you're going to send me messages of hate I'm not going to give you the pleasure of responding and inciting some eWar, it's silly. I'll just chalk it up to you not really knowing me...because you don't...and I'm sorry but I like it that way.

That said, if you have honest questions for me, this post is your chance. I'll answer them...but just this once.

2 comments:

One of Georgia's random readers said...

I personally have been a longtime reader of Georgia, and I am so unbelievably happy for her and for you and about this wonderful love connection that feels like a beautiful happy ending, in a weird way. I also think you're hilarious, which is why you're in my google reader as well as her now. I'm so happy you have found each other, it gives me hope.

Colin Hughes said...

Thanks so much!!! You should have hope because you've obviously got good taste.

I'm guessing "happy ending" is in response to my saying I massage her.