Thursday, July 1, 2010

You and Me Now Buddy

A few minutes ago I was matching socks in the office, it seemed an important step even if I had no idea where I was going to put them, once the job was complete. Things are still a bit hectic in our new home, each cupboard as mysterious as the buildings in a Sarah McLachlan song. Different boxes await Georgia and my approval, each item - it's new home.

Elvis and Mama (cats) have learned to sleep on the same bed as Mona (dog.) My family loves to nap, it will eventually be the bind that brings all the animals together, I think.

Elvis is her Siamese, he's much more hesitant towards anyone who isn't Georgia. It's as if he found her and said to himself; "how could I ask for anything more?" I know the feeling. He was weary of me at the start and now he's a bit afraid of Mona.

Oh right. Socks. Well, Elvis came in to see what the deal was while Georgia and Mona napped in the bed. Mama was on the couch, where she's set up base camp since about Tuesday. Yes, all of these names make this seem a bit more like Dickens than blogspot but I figure you're best just to get used to the names, they are my family after all.

I matched and set up a shirt, that is between my closet and Goodwill, for Elvis. He chilled and watched what I was doing (I think...he's very cross-eyed and it's impossible to tell where he's looking. Between socks I was scratching him, we chatted, I did most of the talking. He was purring.

"It's just you and me now buddy," I said, eluding to the fact that everyone else was sleeping but it struck me how many times those words fell from my lips to Mona's ears and I'm sure how many times Elvis has heard those words from Georgia. And while the two will remain with us, hopefully for many many years to come, it's not just them anymore.

I wish I could tell you all how amazing Georgia is, how much I love her, how much better my life has become since I met her, but I simply could never find the words. We met at the perfect time, it has been the perfect storm.

Tomorrow will be a week, I woke up more nervous than ever before in my life. I went through the day as normally as possible. We went on a wonderful date. Later that night I asked her to marry me, she said yes and suddenly I know why people say "I feel like the luckiest man in the world." Because I do. I am.

Since I started typing this out she has come out and sat at the table with me and right now she has no idea I'm looking over at her, thinking about the amazing luck that I have had...look at her...she's perfect for me in every way.

Oh right, you can't see her, sorry. I'm going to go enjoy the view.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Georgia follower, and I couldn't be happier for the both of you. It's so sweet and really inspiring, refreshing, GREAT to see a man talk so adoringly of his lady. Thank you.

Colin Hughes said...

Thank you. It takes every ounce of strength I have to not turn my blog into a creepy Georgia fan page! Hopefully I'll keep this balance but I certainly know how unbelievably lucky I am.