Monday, July 19, 2010

Some Idea

When I was about 10 or so years old I started my first company with my best friend Emily Sniezyk (pronounced Snee-zack for those following along at home.) We called it CHES for our initials and we did yard work. We raked my grandmother's lawn for about 3 hours and our business sort of dissolved. But not for lack of trying, at least for 10 year olds.

We put up signs around town - which meant the corner store, being that the only store in town. And we told our mother's to tell people - which is the best small town billboard money can buy. Still, the phone wasn't exactly ringing off the hook.

Several years later my friend Brett and I, after becoming obsessed with the show Cheers decided to start our own bar. Being that we were in 7th grade we found the procurement of alcohol to be a difficult if not impossible task. We were young and didn't yet own that mental filter that causes people to readily give up, thus the lack of alcohol didn't stop us. We rode our bikes to the candy store and loaded the fuck up.

A week or so later and our locker based candy business was flourishing. We were charging double or triple what we paid and since we were the only source of jawbreakers, warheads, and the like, we were constantly busy. So busy that the principal soon found out and shut us down. Looking back now I'm disappointed that he never once told us that we were innovative, forward thinking, or anything like that, he basically just called us turds and gave us detention.

While the ideas kept popping; board games, t-shirt company, black top resealing, etc. the likeliness of my keeping on top of the idea faded with each failed launch. Until finally, it seems, I choose safety first.

I'd like to blame my principal but I really can't. Fuck, I'd like to blame anyone other than myself but the truth is, I need to stop listening to the failures of yesterday and look forward to the many failures yet to come because in the long run I look back on all of these memories as happy ones, despite my eventual shortcomings.

No comments: