Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Truth Be Told

Even if it's false, wrong, non-factual, or outright stupid I'm interested, mostly, in the truth. Over the years I've given great thought to what is the binding tie between the music that I like; why do I love The Avett Brothers and at the same time really love 1940's big band? Where does Motown fit in here? Why do I really only like New Orleans jazz and no other type of jazz? Is there a single tie in there that, if I spent the time, I could figure out.

More importantly, what does that first sentence have to do with the rest of the paragraph? I'm not sure, but it really seems to me like there is a 1:1 relationship. Here is the path I took to get there, maybe that will help:

I LIKE THIS BOOK - IT'S NON-FICTION - BUT IT'S OPINION REALLY SO IT'S SOMEWHAT FICTIONAL IN THAT THE TRUTH MAY NOT BE CORRECT - I HATE FICTION BOOKS - DO I HATE FICTION MOVIES? - NO - BUT THE TIME INVESTED IS MUCH LESS WITH A MOVIE - I DO LIKE MOVIES THAT SEEM TO BE TRUTHFUL TO MY LIFE - IS THAT THE CASE WITH MUSIC AS WELL?

Now here I am...wondering, silently aloud on a keyboard. Why do we select the styles and arts we select? Why does my girlfriend love vintage? Why did Jay follow Phish? Why did anyone in the world like Phish? Why do hippies love sandals? Why do people who used to love Death Cab now pretend they never did?

We seem to move in packs from one style to another, based on what we identify with. This is all a larger topic for people much smarter than myself but when it comes to me personally I wonder if there is one tie to all of it, I'm thinking it may be 'truth,' in some form.

Truth: noun. [as I need it] anything said by anyone when that person believes the statement to be factual.

I sort of think the reason I never got into rap is that it wasn't a truth that I could relate to, I never had bitches. Then again I love opinion based books where the author believes they're telling the truth. Perhaps truth isn't the answer but it's a theory, not even really a theory if this were a scientific experiment I'd say it's a hypothesis at best.

Do you think that everyone who likes Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream also likes early Elvis Costello better than later EC, is excited about the new Devo album, has at least 1 piece of Ikea furniture, and doesn't have the money in the bank they thought they would have by this point in their life???

I like raspberry swirl ice cream.

2 comments:

Georgia Hardstark said...

I like Mint It's It ice cream sandwiches but only because I bought the Breakfast Club soundtrack on vinyl when I was in high school, which was purely based on the fact that Spaceballs was my favorite movie when I was a kid and my mom sang me Summertime from Porgy & Bess when I was a baby.

Aside from that, I adore your brain and everything that spews from it.

YasonSpringer said...

Your post reminds me of lyrics from one of my favorite Talking Heads songs, Crosseyed & Painless. Incidentally, Phish covers this song as well.

Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them
Facts are nothing on the face of things