Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Weed

It's 4/20 and if there is one thing I am not, it's an expert...of anything. It simply makes sense to me that weed be legalized. Personally, I have smoked in the past, probably more than most people but it plays no role in my everyday life. There are several studies on the harmful effects, from what I can gather it has mostly been for naught.

There are a few things that I think make perfect sense though;
  1. Letting out of jail, all minor drug offenders would save a turd-load of money.
  2. Taxing the sale of marijuana would earn the government a lot of money.
  3. Stopping a major drug trade would surely stop money going to drug lords.
  4. Weed doesn't really hurt people.
  5. Prohibition doesn't work.
Prohibition is essentially a way of the government saying; "don't do this, or okay, do it but you're breaking the law." Why are alcohol and tobacco legal? Why are handguns (mostly) legal? It's my libertarian streak, which admittedly is pretty small, but I believe all drugs should be legal and we should work to treat the addicted. Although, judging by the way our government helps smokers out, we would certainly fail at that too. Fuck it, let people kill themselves on drugs then...just tax them on the way to the grave.

I'm not a higher tax kind of guy but this isn't income tax we are talking about. If we could offer more social services by making drugs legal go forward! The problem is, we would probably just bomb Iran, if we had the extra capital laying around. But tax talk is for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I concuuurrrrrrr!